Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Aikido: Sunday Demo

Sunday was great. Our dojo participated in a demo in Seremban, for Hari Kecergasan Kanak-Kanak.

I came to help out, as the performance was done by the kids. First up was a dance routine, followed by a Judo performance. Then came our turn, followed by wushu and a lion dance.

After Judo, came my performance. I was simply amazing. Such grace, and power in my movements. Actually, I was just the mat layer, better known as stage kuli hehehe. Still you can't blame one for taking pride in his job :)

Anyway, after the mats were laid, the real heroes came out. Our juniors came out and started their performance. What a show! Kudos to them for giving 100% and impressing the crowd.

Whoa! Sometimes in Aikido if you wanna see how something should be done, go and look at how kids do it. Now I know who to go to when I want to correct my flip rolls. Don't be fooled, these kids can teach any adult a thing or two.

They performed Kihon Dosa, which is a basic kata or movement in Yoshinkan Aikido. This was followed by some rolls, flips, and even somersaults! Next, came some techniques performed in slow motion, then at normal speed. The crowd was very appreciative, and gave tremendous applause.

Next, Dayang came up. Phwoarrr! She performed Jiyu Waza (closest to freestyle sparring in Aikido) on Noveen Sensei, and man did it looked brutal from where I was standing. I think I heard some gasps from the audience, looking in amazement. Very impressive. Dayang is only 14, which is probably why hehe. Jealous! I want to be a Shodan too! Patience Imran, patience! Arrghh!

Anyway, took some photos with my camera phone. Waiting for some other photos, and a stunning video of Dayang and Noveen Sensei in action. Oo also I just started using Tabblo, this new photo service. Click below to see the pictures, comments and criticism are welcome. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preamble: Hmmm...testing one, two, three...Hello?Hello? Is this mic on?..hehehe

The kids are so cute...such talent n charisma. Dekat Terminal ke tu? Betul la, imran....mesti jealous, especially when it comes to a 14-year-old-girl. U'll envy them. Don't worry u'll soon be a 'Jedi' oppss...Shodan, May the force be with u...hahahahah.

p/s: So, when is ur turn to perform ur somersaults, Aikido? No worries, i'll be the cheerleader...kih..kih..

Anonymous said...

kids are very agile, i envy them, i envy myself when i was younger, good thing we're still able to return to that form, with alot of stretching and pain.. hehehe... imran, advance yourself in aikido.. next time i see u, i'll tell the history of cekak and why there are 2 cekaks: cekak malaysia and cekak hanafi.. politics are always strong everywhere, its fun to hear em out.. see u man..

Imran said...

juanna

Thanks for your support! Shodan always my ultimate aim.

ihsan

Yeah man, I've heard bout the Cekak Hanafi and Cekak Malaysia thingy. Politics exists in almost all martial arts, Aikido included. I prefer to stay out of it, and concentrate on my training. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

hey Shodan..

9th Dan??? hehehe..like Steven seagal huh??

Wait till i get my first 3 months training, then i'll repay all the pain from the locks u given me!! huh!

Paintball la pulak if u have the guts!

ta!