Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Couch Potato to 5km Runner

I love running!

6 months ago I would have laughed at this statement. Coming back from UK I realized I was very unfit. Read around, googled stuff, and tried a few things to achieve my target of getting back into shape.


What a sorry state I was in...

I started Aikido, joined a gym and started working out. Aikido was great and I plan to continue as long as I can. Gym however, was a different story.

Wasn’t particularly focused in the beginning. I did a bit of this and a bit of that. After a couple of months I realized that not much was happening. After a lot of prodding from a friend, I hit the net again, and started researching running. Found a few articles and decided to follow one that suited me.

...just look at me now! Hehehe

Amazing! When I started, I had a maximum running time of 3 minutes. It’s been about 2 months now, and I’m running for half an hour!

A few things that helped me:

1. Have a strong desire

Tell yourself what you want to achieve and why. In my case, I'd much rather prefer being called hot, not fat hahaha. Someday... someday.

2. Visualise

Visualise how you would like to look, or your ideal state. This isn’t easy, before long, the mind gets distracted, just go back to your target when this happens, later you will be able to hold your image longer and longer.

3. Music

Somehow, running seems shorter with music than without.

Anyway, here’s the program that helped me get to half an hour running. Hope it helps you!

The Couch To 5k Running Plan. Click here!

Article from http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Couch potato illustration from http://comedyindc.com/couch.htm
Smallville illustration from http://www.avantecmedia.com/superman/images/smallville.jpg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tell me how to lose 5kg in a month..
tell me...
tell me...