Monday, June 12, 2006

Aikido: Wow!

Woohoo!

Had my Aikido class yesterday after quite a while. Missed last week's class, due to my sprained ankle. So, when I arrived at my dojo yesterday, I was feeling really happy.

It was to be a double joy however, due to me spotting a celebrity in the dojo. Sensei Joe Thambu! WOW!

Sensei Joe Thambu

Sensei Joe Thambu flew in from Australia to take classes and give seminars to a few dojos in Malaysia and Indonesia. He is currently the Chief Instructor of Aikido Shudokan, Melbourne. Starting training at 11 years old, and awarded Shodan in 1978! He has many achievements under his belt, and was also actually the last student to be tested by Soke Gozo Shioda (The founder of Yoshinkan Aikido).

Sensei Joe Thambu

Class

Class went on as usual, only difference that it was led by Sensei Thambu. We did some Yokomenuchi (Side strike) and Shomenuchi (Front strike) techniques. Also did some Nikajo (wrist pressure techniques, I really need to work on mine, a long way to go sigh).

Sensei Noveen, my excellent teacher. Makes sure we truly understand the mechanics behind perfection of techniques. Fantastic!

After class, waiting for my ride, some of the students remained in the dojo, for some extra practice. Sensei Thambu then performed Jiyu Waza (techniques against non-stop attacks). Wow! Realised there and then I needed waaaaay more practice. I have a long way to go, so much to improve and to learn. I really have to start thinking hard about making time to attend weekday classes now.

Sensei Thambu giving some extra practice to some of our juniors after the class

Anyway, Sensei Thambu will be coming again in September. Thank you for the class, Sensei! Osu!

Sensei Thambu and me

Please click here to check out a video of Joe Thambu Sensei from the 50th All Japan Yoshinkan Aikido Demonstration.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

imran,like i said before,u look cute la in d pic..no need la gym2 tuh..tidow lagi sedap!hehehe!
btw,aikido in seremban?woah!jauhnye!
tapi nak ikottttt!!

Imran said...

Hi Faten!

Thanks =) Yeah Aikido is soo fun. Ikot la! Classes will be nice with you around. Take care!

Imran

Anonymous said...

You are one big dork man... Since when do you know anything about fighting?

Imran said...

Anonymous

Hehehe I know who you are man. Anyway, never said I knew anything bout it, read the blog properly hehe.

Anonymous said...

atleast there's comments, this blog needs update.. u got me fired up man.. come on, tell more..

Imran said...

Ihsan

Yo dude. Coming, more stuff's coming. Thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Imran,
Nice blog. Sorry i couldn't leave a message earlier. Been too busy. Hope to see you at class this weekend.

Noveen

Imran said...

Sensei Noveen

No worries, thank you for dropping by the blog. See you at class. Osu!

Anonymous said...

Imran! You already look HOT lah! Hehehe...

Imran said...

Woo thanks for the compliment hehe. Whoever you are hehehe ;)

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.